Welcome to Nevada Group Riders.
Sign In and don't forget to set your divisions group under Usergroups at top of page. Select Join a Group.
Welcome to Nevada Group Riders.
Sign In and don't forget to set your divisions group under Usergroups at top of page. Select Join a Group.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got a Sport bike? Then come and ride with us. All new and experience riders are welcome. NVGR of Reno and Sparks location. This group targets new riders to the world of motorcycles and group riding. Copyright © NVGR Nevada Group

HomeHome  Home PortalHome Portal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How often do you guys lube your chain?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NVGR-Ron
Admin
Admin
NVGR-Ron

Number of posts : 136
Bikes : 2007 GSX-R 600 (DEAD)
2003 DUCATI MONSTER 620i.e (ALIVE)
1996 CBR900 RR (TRADED)

Registration date : 2008-03-28

How often do you guys lube your chain? Empty
PostSubject: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyApril 24th 2008, 5:22 am

I've notice that my chain has been looking nasty lately. I have been cleaning 'em and lubing them pretty much every other week. I am starting to think the seals are gone. scratch Meaning they become very dry looking after awhile, like its never been lube. scratch
Back to top Go down
NVGR-Adilo
Admin
Admin
NVGR-Adilo

Number of posts : 299
Bikes : R6 Raven Edition
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyApril 24th 2008, 9:26 am

you lube your chain more than I do!!! cheater !!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
NVGR-TRENT
Admin
Admin
NVGR-TRENT

Number of posts : 237
Bikes : 06 CBR1000RR 05 R6 Track Bike 96 Cr 250r
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyApril 24th 2008, 6:39 pm

How many miles are on your bike? It may be time for a new chain and sprockets....
Back to top Go down
NVGR-Adilo
Admin
Admin
NVGR-Adilo

Number of posts : 299
Bikes : R6 Raven Edition
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyApril 25th 2008, 8:46 am

Trent
when do you suppose to change it?
Back to top Go down
rz500rider
Surpreme Member
Surpreme Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyMay 29th 2008, 4:54 am

O ring chains are usually lubed with stuff that just isn't good for them, like sticky emulsifying goo spray lubes that people buy because of the ultra hype advertizing.

The best way to lube an O ring chain is after the last run of the day, on a regularly scheduled time frame, like once every two weeks, etc., get the rear wheel off the ground so it will spin freely.

Use a soft bristle brush and good rag to remove all the dirt and road grime from the chain.

With the chain still hot from the ride, drop one drop if good quality natural engine oil on every O ring (I use 30 wgt, or 20W50, just use a good natural engine oil), both sides of the chain, and let it soak the O rings. You also want to lube the outside of the rollers where they ride on the sprockets.

When the chain has cooled completely off, and the oil has disbursed over the chain, use a clean rag to remove the extra oil from the chain.

That is it.

O ring chains are sealed by the O rings, and expensive goo lubes don't penetrate past the O rings anyway, that is why they are there, to hold the factory lube inside, and not let outside contaminents into the pins and inner rollers. The oil keeps the O rings pliable, and helps them seal the chain correctly.

To check a chain for wear, at the rear sprocket, in the middle of the cnain run on the sprocket, about adjuster level, pull the chain backwards. the chian shouldn't have much movement off the sprocket teeth, it should stay in close contact with the sprocket teeth. Always do this check AFTER properly lubricating and adjusting the chain.

I always set the chain slack with the swing arm half way thru its travel, as chains tighten as the swing arm travels upwards to the center of its travel, then slackens as the swing arm continues to rise past center of its travel.
Back to top Go down
BovineFreedom
Top Member
Top Member
BovineFreedom

Number of posts : 45
Bikes : 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyMay 31st 2008, 5:04 am

I actually had my master link break in half today on my way to work. Lucky for me I had'nt gone very far from the house and it was still holding on one side so I was able to turn around and limp the bike home. It must have been failing for a while because I have heard a tick tick tick noise when going slow enough and I could feel it through the pegs.
Back to top Go down
NVGR-Ron
Admin
Admin
NVGR-Ron

Number of posts : 136
Bikes : 2007 GSX-R 600 (DEAD)
2003 DUCATI MONSTER 620i.e (ALIVE)
1996 CBR900 RR (TRADED)

Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? EmptyMay 31st 2008, 5:48 am

Thanks for the tip, I'll get on it as soon as I have the time. Great reply!

rz500rider wrote:
O ring chains are usually lubed with stuff that just isn't good for them, like sticky emulsifying goo spray lubes that people buy because of the ultra hype advertizing.

The best way to lube an O ring chain is after the last run of the day, on a regularly scheduled time frame, like once every two weeks, etc., get the rear wheel off the ground so it will spin freely.

Use a soft bristle brush and good rag to remove all the dirt and road grime from the chain.

With the chain still hot from the ride, drop one drop if good quality natural engine oil on every O ring (I use 30 wgt, or 20W50, just use a good natural engine oil), both sides of the chain, and let it soak the O rings. You also want to lube the outside of the rollers where they ride on the sprockets.

When the chain has cooled completely off, and the oil has disbursed over the chain, use a clean rag to remove the extra oil from the chain.

That is it.

O ring chains are sealed by the O rings, and expensive goo lubes don't penetrate past the O rings anyway, that is why they are there, to hold the factory lube inside, and not let outside contaminents into the pins and inner rollers. The oil keeps the O rings pliable, and helps them seal the chain correctly.

To check a chain for wear, at the rear sprocket, in the middle of the cnain run on the sprocket, about adjuster level, pull the chain backwards. the chian shouldn't have much movement off the sprocket teeth, it should stay in close contact with the sprocket teeth. Always do this check AFTER properly lubricating and adjusting the chain.

I always set the chain slack with the swing arm half way thru its travel, as chains tighten as the swing arm travels upwards to the center of its travel, then slackens as the swing arm continues to rise past center of its travel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you guys lube your chain?   How often do you guys lube your chain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1